Imagine this: it's still dark. You are standing on the terrace of Rome's second highest hill - the ancient Janiculum, which overlooks the heart of the city. Suddenly, a shard of light breaks through the mountains on this distant horizon. Rome's church domes and belltowers are backlit with a soft light that slowly envelops the expanse in golden and rose hues, glowing brighter and brighter…
Sunrise in Rome is a special, magical time of day – and not just for the spectacle you’ll witness from the Gianicolo hill. Rome is a crowded, busy, noisy city – but not at sunrise. At sunrise Rome is still caught in a daydream like state between asleep and vigilant. Her squares are still empty, her cafés only beginning to set up. The areas around the city’s most important monuments are free of crowds, an impossibility at any other moment of the day.
This Sunrise in Rome small group tour is the perfect way to experience Rome before the crowds and chaos take over. You’ll feel as though Rome is your own personal oasis as you move from famous sight to sight free of traffic – both car and pedestrian. You’ll cover every major sight of the city and be whisked from point to point in a luxury Mercedes Class V van. This tour is closed to no more than 6 lucky people per day – and your tiny group will have an English-speaking local expert guide on hand who will share the stories & history of the monuments you’ll experience.
Tour departure time varies according to sunrise time to make sure you get to experience this moment at the start of your tour. Pick up in your hotel is included and your itinerary includes all of Rome’s highlights such as St Peter’s Square, Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain, Pincio Terrace, the Colosseum and Circus Maximus. We’ll also drive down the Imperial Forum Road with views over the Roman Forums and past Piazza Venezia (Venice Square) where you’ll see the Vittoriano monument to Italy’s unification. Time permitting you will be able to stop at one of Rome's many cafès for a quick coffee and pastry (own expense).
Itinerary stops and timings vary according to sunrise time.
Please note that a small part of this tour is conducted on foot (about 1 hour) due the proximity of certain sites in the historical center. Only light walking is required.
Hotel pick-up available for guests staying within the Aurelian Walls. Note that hotel pick up times may precede start times by about 30 minutes. Other guests can depature from our meeting point at:
Via Celimontana 30/32
Via Celimontana 30/32
- This tour requires minimum numbers to depart. In the even your tour is cancelled due to minimum numbers not being met, you will be offered an alternative or a full refund.
- Tour goes forward rain or shine.
- All minor must be accompanied by a paying adult.
- This tour is not wheelchair accesible.
- Free Hotel pick-up is only available upon request and only for guests staying within the Aurelian Walls of the city. Hotel name and address must be provided at the time of booking.
What to Bring
- A jacket/layers. Early morning in Rome is usually cooler than the rest of the day, especially during the spring and fall.
- Comfortable walking shoes.
- Your camera! The light at this time of day is perfect for taking photos - and all monuments we visit will be unobstructed by crowds.
Monday, Friday, Sunday
Tour goes forward, rain or shine (don't worry, if they are needed - we'll bring the poncho's!). If you would like to cancel your tour or modify the date, we require notification at least 72 hours before your departure time. Refunds will not be provided for changes or cancellations made after this time. No shows cannot be refunded.